Kasirer's Blog

Friday, August 26, 2005

Reading

CheddarTed, his bro Will, and my sister (obviously older one because I don't think my little sister knows how to read) all recommended that I read the book "Freakonomics."

I purchased that book on Tuesday and finished it early Thursday. The only other thing I can do in under two days is complete an entire season of "24," which I did a few times in early May. The book is not exactly about economics. It more or less plays around with data to give you shocking conclusions so that a lot of things you think about are what the Daliy Show Studio smells like . . . . . horseshit.

Some examples: obsessive parenting does not work, it is who your parents are rather than what they do that will affect the outcome of your life.
an infant is much more likely to die playing in a house with a pool in it than at a house with a gun in it.
Members of Congress will always fund measures to prevent terrorism rather than healthcare even though far more Americans will die from obesity/ heart disease that terrorism. The list goes on.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book on all counts besides two. 1) It was not long enough. 2) It did not derride any theories/policy of the great man running this country.

I shall report on the insanity that was the Snoop Youth Football League benefit concert in due time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home